Saturday, March 7th
On this date thirty-eight years ago my father died. When I was a child, he often took me to concerts. In the early sixties, at Chicago’s Arie Crown Theater, we saw two guys with short dark beards and a lady with long blond hair.
Peter, Paul and Mary, live (TV show), England, 1965*
To a chemist, nothing on earth is unclean.
—Anton Chekhov (1860-1904), letter to Maria Kiselyova, January 14, 1887 (trans. from Russian by Cathy Popkin [Anton Chekhov’s Selected Stories, Cathy Popkin, ed.])
*Set list (courtesy of YouTube):
1. When the Ship Comes In (Bob Dylan)
2. The First Time (Ewan MacColl)
3. San Francisco Bay Blues (Jesse Fuller)
4. For Lovin’ Me (Gordon Lightfoot)
5. Jesus Met the Woman at the Well (Traditional)
6. Early Morning Rain (Gordon Lightfoot)
7. Jane Jane (Traditional)/Children Go Where I Send Thee (Traditional) (new words & music by DeCormier/Stookey/Yarrow/Travers)
8. The Whole Wide World Around (Tom Glaser lyrics; J.S. Bach St. Matthew Passion melody)
9. Early in the Mornin’ (Paul Stookey)
10. The Times They Are A’Changing (Bob Dylan)
11. The Hangman (The Gallows Pole) (Traditional)
12. On a Desert Island With You in My Dreams (Paul Stookey & Dick Kniss)
13. Puff the Magic Dragon (Leonard Lipton & Peter Yarrow)
14. The Rising of the Moon (Traditional)
15. Come and Go With Me (Traditional)
16. Blowin’ in the Wind (Bob Dylan)
17. If I Had My Way (Rev. Gary Davis)
Here’s to his memory.