Take me to the water . . .
Take Me To The Water:
Immersion Baptism in Vintage Music and Photography 1890-1950
Vodpod videos no longer available.
“Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in
the morning.” Psalm 30
Before dawn, under a thin moon disappearing
east, the planet Mercury, the messenger
and healer, came up vanishingly
into the blue beyond the garden where
three lilies at the bottom of the yard
arrayed white trumpets on iron stalks
under a slow, slow lightning from the sun.
I stood on a rotten step myself,
and smelled them from a hundred feet away.
—Brooks Haxton (Uproar: Antiphonies to Psalms)
listening room: what’s playing
• Billy Bang Quintet, Above and Beyond (Justin Time)
• The Complete Atlantic Recordings of Lennie Tristano, Lee Konitz & Warne Marsh (Mosaic)
• Bunky Green, The Salzau Quartet Live at Jazz Baltica (Traumton)
• Bombino, Agadez (Cumbancha)
• Friedrich Gulda, The Complete Gulda Mozart Tapes (Deutsche Grammaphon)
• Maryanne Amacher, Sound Characters (Tzadik)
• The Original Gospel Harmonettes (featuring Dorothy Love Coates), Love Lifted Me (Charly)
• Rev. Johnny L. Jones, The Hurricane That Hit Atlanta (Dust-to-Digital)
• Sinner’s Crossroads, Kevin Nutt, WFMU-FM (Thursday, 8-9 p.m. [EST])
• Gospel Memories, Bob Marovich, WLUW-FM (Saturday 10-11 a.m. [CST])
• Bird Flight, Phil Schaap, WKCR-FM (M-F, 8:20-9:30 a.m. [EST])
• Charles Mingus Birthday Broadcast, WKCR-FM, 4/22/11